Monday, September 05, 2005

and on a serious note

As my family enjoys the last of the 3 day weekend soaking up the sun and surf, I can't help but reflect on how much we are blessed with and how much I take for granted. As a mother, (heck, just as a human being) the images and stories of the hundreds of thousands suffering in the aftermath of Katrina is almost unbearable. I think about the most helpless victims- the children, the elderly- and my heart is filled with such profound sorrow for all the horror they've endured and will continue to endure for years to come. It has certainly put all my trivial "problems" in perspective. I cannot comprehend the magnitude of beginning the process of recovery when you've lost everything, but I do believe in the inherent resilience, tenacity and goodness of the human spirit, and I know that somewhere there's light at the end of the tunnel. As I hold my family that much closer, I feel compelled to do more than donate money and offer my prayers. But if that is all I am able to do, then please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

On a lighter knitting note, the mini-sweater/boobholder is done! It definitely morphed into more of a mini-cardigan than a boobholder, but it's meant to be more function than form. Pictures to follow next time, when I remember to snap a shot in daylight, rather than by my 60 watt nightstand lamp. I'm not too thrilled with the whole itchy, crawly, nasty acrylic feel thing, but hey, this was a consolation knit. I needed a pick-me-up from the Padded Footlets because they were making me feel like a loser knitter and totally deflated my whole delusion of knitting grandeur. I couldn't get the hang of following two separate charts for the padding and instep...well, that's not completely accurate. I got the hang of it, but it was taking too darned long! I mean, c'mon, they're SOCKS! You do them because they're supposed to give you semi-instant gratification! So I put them aside and started slumming around with the aforementioned acrylic. I know, that was a low for me, but acrylic aside, it was a great pattern and baby, it felt so GOOD to have something flying off the needles again. Worsted weight...what a revelation! But who am I kidding? I needed a hit of that worsted, but deep down, I know I'm an incorrigibly uptight, Type A Virgo (Is there any other kind??) who needs the constant madness of fingering weight yarn. Well, that and the fact that during my weekend blog reading, I found out that other knitting goddesses also found the Padded Footlets tedious. (Okay, aside from my returned delusion of grandeur, the previous statement really is true, I swear!) So I felt rejuvenated and a little (Okay, a LOT) relieved that I could take that hand-on-the-forehead "L" (LOSER!!) off said head. (Is that like Right Said Fred?! Yeah, I know, stream-of-consciousness is really scary with me.) Now I'm determined to finish those Padded Footlets, no matter how long they take. And no more slum acrylic detours, I swear. Help me stay clean, people!

2 comments:

Jillio said...

it's hard to describe the impact of such an endeavor [hurricane katrina], but i'm inspired by the aloha everyone shares to get through it--the victims and samaritans alike.
in regards to knitting, congrats on finishing the minisweater! acrylic is scratchy!!! eww. i made a one skein wonder out of it, but couldn't bear to wear it...aside from it being safety vest orange in color. i think i could live with the color. ugh, maybe i've just turned into a yarn snob. beh.
i read somewhere that it might be easier to do the padded footlets without the padding?
i think i'm attracted to yarn less than worsted weight because it seems like i'm getting more yarn for my money. i mean, really--$13 for a ball of 220 yds vs. $7.50 for ~95 yds!? puh-lease! of course, i feel like such a hypocrite when i consider that my stash grows out of vanity rather than necessity....oh well. carpe diem!

Acornbud said...

Congratulations on the FO! Can't wait to see the pictures. I'll have to see that pattern for the footlets.
Worsted and bulky yarn aren't practical for Paradise, but it sure works for some instant gratification!