Friday, September 11, 2009

tap, tap, tap...is this thing on?

I suppose you begin simply by writing something, anything. Having fallen out of the habit of blogging for quite some time, I'm not sure where or how to "pick up" again. All I am sure about is that I would like to begin blogging again; to capture moments in time that bring a smile to my face and to reflect on those things which bring me happiness. Entirely for myself. Selfish? Well, very, yes. But I'd like this endeavor to be truer and more real than my last effort. I know from experience that I am easily sucked into the community aspect of blogging and commenting. And while it may allow for interpersonal connection in an otherwise devoid medium, I am striving to find a better balance this time around.

So, there have been several big changes around these parts over the past few years. Bits of Knits is now a household of five instead of four!

Ace (formerly, "Bossy") is almost eight years old and in second grade now. Sweetie (formerly, "Stinky") is five and a half and starting kindergarten. Bug (formerly just a wishful thought) is our soon-to-be two year old son, exuberant and full of mischievous plans. He loves ABBA and sings songs from "Mamma Mia," which I have to document here so that I have recorded blackmail material for when he graduates from high school.

Packing bento lunches has become a recent interest of mine, partly utilitarian in nature because of the money saved by bringing lunch from home, but also for the aesthetics involved. My mom gifted me with a copy of Hawaii's Bento Box Cookbook this past Christmas, and I just fell in love with it. I mean, how could you not? Everything in it is so darned cute! Ace and Sweetie got a hold of the book and after that, it was pretty well decided that neither of them could bring just a plain ol' turkey sandwich to school anymore. So I've been trying to up the cute-factor a bit, with varying degrees of success, but it's all good. And fun! Here's a pic of today's lunch.... a Sanrio Cinnamoroll on fried rice for Sweetie and a boy on a turkey sandwich for Ace (in second grade, it can't be overtly cute, so I walk a fine line with that boy).

I think the little umbrella apple far right may have been a bit much cutesy-wise for Ace as it was left untouched, but it's also possible that it was left in artistic protest, as that apple looks nothing like an umbrella!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

I just squealed when I saw a new post on your blog! You have been busy, haven't you? Congratulations on your new son. I have wondered from time to time how you were doing and I'm so glad to see that you and your family are thriving!

Karen said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! YOU ARE BACK!!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

I can't even tell you how thrilled I am to see you posting again! Congratulations on the new "baby" - although he's not a baby anymore. Ace and Sweetie are as adorable as ever. I love the Bento Lunches - you know how to make even a boring bagged lunch look wonderful.

Big hugs to you, my friend. I hope you know how often I've thought of you over the past few years!

Olga said...

hey lovey!

given that i hardly ever get to read blogs anymore, much less write my own, it's a small miracle that i checked my bloglines and saw your new posts! yay, so glad to "see" you!! if i every come out your way again, i do hope we have a chance to meet. (i still kick myself that i missed that last chance.) hope all is well, and looking forward to reading more, sweetie!