Tuesday, September 29, 2009

hogwarts style

Ace has decided that he wants to be Harry Potter for Halloween, which secretly pleases me to no end. A dedicated HP fan myself, I get to live vicariously through him and maybe even dress in a supporting role (McGonagall? Umbridge?) to boot. What could be more fun? Ace picked up The Sorcerer's Stone late last school year and has since steadfastly soldiered through the series; he's now in the middle of #5 and spellbound by the idea of legilimency. This, of course, means daily wizardly discussions and duels- shouts of "Avada Kedavra!" and "Crucio!" (he's enamored of the Unforgivable Curses, as any second grader well should be) are pretty standard around our home.

Being cheap, I just can't bring myself to pay forty bucks (!!) for a flimsy Harry Potter costume. Besides, back in my day (I can't believe I just said that), half of the fun of Halloween was making your own costume... deciding what materials to use, thrifting for accessories and finally, constructing the outfit. Luckily, Ace and Sweetie are way on board this train of thought, so it didn't take much convincing to ditch the store-bought variety. Ace is going to recycle his Jedi robe from last Halloween into Harry's cloak/robes and use Dad's old frames for his signature glasses. I'm leaving the wand construction up to him, which I'm sure will involve endless amounts of tape and paper towel rolls. Or course, the knitter in me jumped at the prospect to knit him a First Year Gryffindor scarf, as seen in the first movie. I'm kind of wishing I'd thought to make the scarf on size 13 needles or something, though, as it's mind numbing stockinette in the round on size 7's, but still- it's Harry Potter!!- so no complaints here.

After contemplating being Hermione, Tinkerbell, a veterinarian, Cinderella and a vegetarian, Sweetie finally decided on being Princess Leia. I was slightly relieved, as I really wasn't sure how I was going to pull "vegetarian" off. I have some white fabric that can be fashioned into Leia's gown, but I'm concerned that Sweetie's hair may be too short to pull off the signature braided buns. Luckily, we've got a month to figure it out... or um, let her hair grow. Whichever happens first!

13 comments:

kbrow said...

Didn't Barb make some sort of Leia bun hat a couple years back? I bet she'd donate it to your cause, unless she's planning to wear it herself to greet the trick-or-treaters...

Hopefully you're making that Gryffindor scarf long enough for you to wear. I am covetous of it, in spite of the fact that even thinking about all that stockinette in the round is making my hands ache. Also...am impressed that you didn't say Harry %^&$#*( Potter. Really.

Unknown said...

I love the scarf...I have yarn to make one too. I have a Princess Leia hat but it is huge and really warm. You are welcome to try it on in case you want to go as Leia's aunty or Sweetie has large noggin.

paul smith said...

nice

Party Event Lighting Service Las Vegas said...

Amazing how simple it can be to communicate with people and have them understand a certain topic, you made my day.

Kitchens Toronto said...

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.

massage chairs said...

The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts

jumping castles toronto said...

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

veterinarians in brampton, said...

It is a pleasure going through your post. I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff from your side.

spa toronto said...

A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors.

Animation courses said...

MAAC institute, MAAC, Animation education, Animation courses, 3D animation, Visual effects Courses, 3D animation Courses in New Delhi, 3D animation institutes, Animation institute, Animation Institutes in Faridabad, Animation Institutes in new Delhi, Animation Colleges in New Delhi, Animation Colleges in Faridabad, Best Animation education in New Delhi, Top Animation courses, Top 3D animation Courses in New Delhi, Top 3D animation institutes

Unknown said...

nice scarf.... good color combination

Alice said...

Moncler Men Coats
Moncler Men Jackets
Moncler Men T-Shirt
Moncler Men Vests
Moncler Scarf&Caps
Moncler Sweater Men
Moncler Sweater Women
Moncler Women Coats
Moncler Women Jackets
Moncler Women Vests
UGG Boots
Bailey Button UGG 5803
Classic Stripe Cable 5822
Classic Argyle Knit 5879
Classic Cardy UGG 5819
Classic Metallic UGG 5812
Classic Mini UGG 5854
Classic Short UGG 5825
Classic Tall UGG 5815
Sunburst Tall Boots 5218

burberry bags said...


Classic fashion chanel bags, latest burberry bags, warm winter ugg boots outlet.