Tuesday, August 23, 2005

my blogging debut

In spite of my love-hate relationship with computers, I decided to bite the bullet and join the rest of the blog-crazed knitting world. I've spent so much time lurking around other knitting blogs that I felt some reciprocity was in order. Thus, I invite you on my journey, where knitting serves as a lifeline in my often-crazy adventures as a stay-at-home mom to two toddlers!

Though it's only August, I've been on a Christmas knitting spree, thanks in large part to th
e burdensome memory of past Christmas-gift-procrastinated-crafty-UFO's that weigh heavily on my mind. (...I will not procrastinate...I will not procrastinate....I will NOT procrastinate...(!)) My most recently completed FO is a pair of Cable and Rib Socks from the Interweave Knits Fall '05 issue for my MIL, made from KnitPicks Dancing. (Happy, happy, joy, joy dance for free shipping!!) They're far from perfect, but for my second pair of socks, I'm rather pleased with the way they turned out. I'm sure the cables would have been better suited to a monochromatic yarn, but I liked the playful feel of the variegation in Dancing and was itching to test out my new knitting skills with cabling. Although I find self-photographed sock shots rather odd-looking and detrimental to self-esteem (can my feet really be that wide??), I took one to better highlight the design on the instep. This was definitely a very fun knit and I sense many more socks on the horizon (Of course, that could also be because my expanding stash of sock yarn and guilty conscience won't let me do otherwise). I just cast-on for a pair of Padded Footlets from the IK Summer '05 issue with my brand new Brittany size 1 dpns. (Big hugs and kisses to beavergurl76!!) It's my first experience wrapping stitches in short rows, and so far, so good. The lacework on the heel and instep look to require some concentration; definitely a late-night project for after the effervescent tykes are slumbering. For the rare spare moment during the day (when God compassionately gifts me with simultaneously napping children), I'm working on dishcloths in Sugar 'n Cream Christmas Sparkle cotton (Yay for Ben Franklin sales and $1.40 skeins!!!). Simple, mindless garter stitch is incredibly soothing and meditative for me, so I enjoy every chance I get to work on those dishcloths. More pics to follow next time!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.